The Mom Next Door Series: Jen S

Tuesday, October 28, 2014



I am honored today to bring you our Mom Next Door interview from Jen S; the mom of a girl and an incredible little boy who overcame an enormous obstacle in his young life.  Jen and her husband Kevin are former residents of our hometown who gave our entire community (and beyond) a lesson in standing together and believing against all odds in never giving up.  One of Jen's photo captions following Owen's successful surgeries stood out to me, sort of encapsulating their whole story, it read:  "Don't believe in miracles?  Maybe he (Owen) will help you."

Please read on to learn more about Jen, Owen, and their entire family who stood together through a very scary challenge, only to come out stronger and with the firm belief that anything is possible with prayers, support, and love behind you.

---------------------------------------------------
Who are you?  My name is Jen Sheridan. I'm 33 years old and live in Pittsburgh, PA. I don't blog, but I do have a Facebook page for my son own - Owen's Miracle Journey

Who is in your family?  I live with my husband Kevin, daughter Aubrey (2 years), son Owen (10 months), and our 7 year old 100lb lap dog Dakota



What do you do for work?  I just started work at Carlow University this October as the Senior Accountant.  For the last 5 years before that, I was employed by Conemaugh Health System in their Internal Audit Department.

What has been your most difficult Mom moment (so far)?  Owen was born with a neural tube defect known as an encephalocele. To say it was large is an understatement. No one thought they could operate so we were sent home on Hospice. With the strength of God, my husband, family and friends we spoke to numerous doctors until we found a group of AWESOME doctors at Boston Children's Hospital who would perform a very risky, but life saving surgery. We owe them the world.



What would your pre-mom self be surprised to know about motherhood?  That I can actually function on 5 hours of sleep! I used to sleep in until 11am...9am used to be too early for me to wake up!  Now, it would be fantastic if I could sleep IN until 9a!


What would your pre-mom self be proud to know about you in motherhood?  I'm stronger than I ever thought I could be when it comes to our kids. My husband and I fought and fought for our son. All the experts told us that he would not make it to term, much less live outside of the womb. We were told he wouldn't be able to breathe on his own. He surprised everyone and was born screaming. 


Which chore is your least favorite?  Putting close away. I don't mind folding them but somehow they won't get in the closet or the dresser.

What keeps you up at night?  Our daughter! She starts the night in her crib but wakes up in the middle of the night. The only way I learned to function was to bring her in bed with us. She sleeps until morning in our bed and I have to admit, I love it. I know someday she won't want to be in there with us. So I'm trying to enjoy the time as much as possible... even when she keeps me up for hours.


What big projects, worries, or events have you busy right now?  We just relocated to Pittsburgh from our hometown of Johnstown, PA. My husband and I had to get new jobs, sell our Johnstown home, buy a home in Pittsburgh and move...and we did it all within the last 2 months. It's been hectic but we felt this is what is best for our family.


What do you feel like you wish you were better at being a mom?  Patience. Sometimes my patience is very lacking. I hate that about myself and I'm definitely working on it.


What are the small joys of being a Mom that you treasure most right now?  The hugs, kisses, smiles and cuddles. I wouldn't trade that for the world. Now that my daughter is talking (non-stop!) I love when I put her to bed. We must say "I love you" five (or more) times before I finally shut the door.


1 comment:

  1. Another fabulous Momma!! I have read about your family in our local paper and whispered a prayer for Owen when news comes across my FB feed. May the Lord continue to bless and protect your family.

    Blessings,
    Melodye

    ReplyDelete