Thank YOU! Thursday: Thanksgiving edition 2012

Thursday, November 22, 2012

After my short blogging hiatus (which I will discuss more in depth tomorrow), I am back and what better way to re-enter the blogosphere than with my favorite blog project:  Thank YOU! Thursday.  Since it's the biggest and baddest of all Thursdays in the year...let's get to being grateful for the things that make me happiest in this life:



1. I'm thankful for my husband, who's face is more familiar to me than my own.  His voice sounds like home and his neck smells like heaven.  He is the hand I am holding when life is too scary, or too wonderful, or too overwhelming, or too sad, or too giving.

2. I'm thankful for my sweet babies that are growing so strong and fast.  Their cheeks, necks, and the tops of their heads are made of something so sweet it must be magic.  The depth of my love for these humans that call me, 'mumma,' is so vast and abyssal that it is both terrifying and exhilarating.

3. I'm thankful for the people that make up my family - both by blood and those by love alone.  The people that have shaped and changed me, and still do to this day.  Their moods affect my mood because the strings between our hearts are so tightly wound.  When they are hurting, as am I.  When they are happy, as am I.

4. I'm thankful for our friends.  Friends so wonderful that I feel self-conscious.  How we have so many wonderful people in our life seems unfairly unbalanced.  The examples of friends that surround my children of what a 'good person' looks like is astounding.

5. I'm thankful for the things I take for granted every day.  Warm drinks in the morning, running water, a faithful, supportive, and kind husband, healthy and happy children, health in general, money in our bank accounts, freedom to be who I want to be and love who I want to love, safety, warm clothes, access to inspiring and educational resources, our home, and sunshine.

6. I'm thankful for the small blessings that sometimes happen during hard days that relax my furrowed eyebrows and ease the tension in my shoulders.  Like getting up early enough to drink my coffee in silence, the kids giggling together in the bathtub, the dogs lapping up the entire sippy cup of milk that spilled in the kitchen, my husband surprising me with chocolate bars when he gets home from work, a call from my sisters, a text from a friend, an uninterrupted hot shower, and quick bedtimes.

7.  I'm thankful for today.  To wake up in a new day to try again, and maybe even a little better today than yesterday.  To feel him wrap his arm around my waist and kiss my neck good morning.  To see the first smile of her day before I pick her up out of the crib.  To hear, "I love you Mumma, because I'm your darling," from his little voice that sounds so small, yet so honest.  To eat good food and laugh at silly jokes.  To relish in naptime yet barely be able to wait for it to end to see them again.  To try to be more patient and mindful than yesterday.  To try to be more present and kind than yesterday.

My mom introduced me to this quote last night, and I am thankful to have more concise words for what I'm skirting around to explain -

"I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today.  I can choose which it shall be.  Yesterday is dead.  Tomorrow hasn't arrived yet.  I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."  - Groucho Marx


Happy thanksgiving to all of you.
xoxxo

I am thankfull.

1 comment: